Friday, July 28, 2006

The Musician

I have been unable to comment on current events for some time now as things have become so absurd that only a Zen koan could even hope to be relevant. So, I’m not going to bother.

Instead, I just wanted to comment on one image. We have been told that our Secretary of State (does her father have a brother named Ben?) is a concert level musician.

I saw a clip of her “playing Brahms,” and the sound was fortunately very muted. But I did see the face of a Malaysian cellist who was sitting next to her. He looked extremely puzzled and confused.

Granted, this was not Yo Yo Ma (who should thank the powers that be for this, but he did appear to be a reasonably well-trained musician.

The look on his face, the utter bewilderment, reflected my own reaction to the realization that her boss actually believed what he was saying.

I gather it was a sonata for cello and piano, but that’s only a guess.

No comments: