Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cocaine Crap or Just a Freakin Minute

    One of Hillary's surrogates, the owner of BET (a network for Blacks just as inane and worthless as the others but starring black people) spoke glowingly of Hillary and Bill as being in the forefront of caring for blacks while Obama was on the streets of Chicago using cocaine, as he mentioned in his book.  Well, Obama DID talk about his drug use and how it almost destroyed his life and how he overcame it.  More importantly, such a past makes him MORE believable than the man who didn't inhale or Tammy Wynette Clinton.
    In treating recovering addicts and alcoholics, it is very important to establish some trust and rapport with your client.  Many, perhaps most, come with the idea that if you haven't been hooked, you can't possibly relate to what they are going through.  It is not true, of course, but it is essential that you know all the drugs, what effect they have, what withdrawal is like, and be familiar with emotional pain of some sort.  If you confess yourself as a "recovering addict," you establish yourself as trustworthy and understanding and also offer hope for recovery.  If you deny it, you have quite a few extra steps to go through before you gain their trust.
    Obama, by admitting his use of cocaine, and his recovery and subsequent success, becomes a very positive role-model for millions and gainst trust. 
    Let me give another example.  When Nancy Reagen tried to "fight" drugs, she came up with her solution -- "Just say NO."  In drug circles, she was laughable, absurd, as unhip as a Lawernce Welk hip hop marathon.  Meanwhile, Ronald spent money bombing Central America.  On the other hand, Betty Ford went into rehab, talked about her downers and alcohol, and established a clinic that is recognized throught the world as very effective.  The difference is that the patients kenw that Betty Ford had "been there."
    Let me tell you some more.  When I used to drive these people to AA meetings as part of my job, they could easily point out crack houses from the windows of the vans whereas I still haven't developed that talent.  (Fortunately, I don't want it.) 
    Yes, I've treated addicts and I can tell you that less than 3% of them fit the stereotype you see on TV.  I had a few that did, but I also had Medical Doctors, Psychiatrists, and Attorneys as clients.  With some of them, it is just as important to speak to them about their profession as their addiction, but you still have to gain their respect.  I had a father whom I wished to visit his son, but he called to argue about his medication (he was well-known in that field, not addiction related).  I finally had to tell him that I have never enjoyed any discussion relating to the Carbon element.  He then agree to come and visit his son and the son is still recovered today and the father much relieved.
    AA: remember that there is no ONE AA, even though they all use certain rituals.  Rather, there are thousands as each one is different.  The only thing in common is addiction.  (Oh yes, and humanity.)
    So, anyway, I wish Hillary would stop that crap, give Obama credit for courage and hope, and move one.  Then they could both vote for Edwards or Kucinich (who is suing MSNBC for excluding him from tonight's debate even though they invited him two days earlier).
 
Grant me the serentiy to accept those things I can not change,
The courage to change those I can,
And the wisdon to know the difference.
 
Ciao
 

No comments: