Sunday, April 24, 2011

A brief word from Mark Twain

Or perhaps not so brief.  Twain never stopped having his fun with the German language, and while doing it, never being wrong.  It simply takes a different way of thinking to learn German or to think in it and Twain never mastered that part.  Here, however, is a brief comment that I saw for the first time today:

A NEW GERMAN WORD

          To aid a local charity Mr. Clemens appeared before a
          fashionable audience in Vienna, March 10, 1899, reading his
          sketch "The Lucerne Girl," and describing how he had been
          interviewed and ridiculed.  He said in part:

I have not sufficiently mastered German, to allow my using it with
impunity. My collection of fourteen-syllable German words is still
incomplete. But I have just added to that collection a jewel--a
veritable jewel. I found it in a telegram from Linz, and it contains
ninety-five letters:


Personaleinkommensteuerschatzungskommissionsmitgliedsreisekostenrechnungs
erganzungsrevisionsfund

If I could get a similar word engraved upon my tombstone I should sleep
beneath it in peace.


No comments: